Thursday, September 27, 2007

I am ambidextrous!

I just realized I am "kind-of" not left-handed, I am ambidextrous !!

Ambidextrous what?

Relax.... it is not a disease.

Wiki Entry on Ambidextrous says:
In modern times, it is more common to find people considered ambidextrous who were originally left handed, and learned to be ambidextrous either deliberately or during childhood in institutions such as schools where right-handed habits are often emphasized. Also, since many everyday devices are designed to be only ergonomic for right handed people, many left handed people have no choice but to use the device with the right hand (a good example is a can opener). As a result, left handed people are much more likely to develop motor skills in their non-dominant hand than right handed people (who are not subjected to left-favouring devices).
Hmm.. this word is new to me.

I guess I can say I am "mildly ambidextrous" (haha... wonder if there is ever such term) and very much a left-handed person though I was forced to write and brush my teeth by my primary school teachers. (those were the days even adults do not know how to brush teeth properly...do they still teach that in school?).

Many years ago, I understood why people says that left-handed people are more prone to accident when i turned on the water tape in the bathroom of a hotel; apparently it is common that the left tape is for hot water and the right tape is for cold water, I was almost cooked :(

As a computer science guy, one Wiki Entry on Left-handed and Possible Effects in Humans on Thinking caught my attention and amusement:

... According to this theory, right-handed people are thought to process information using a "linear sequential" method in which one thread must complete its processing before the next thread can be started. Left-handed persons are thought to process information using a "visual simultaneous" method in which several threads can be processed simultaneously. ..... This seems to suggest that left-handed people have an excellent ability to multi-task, and anecdotal evidence suggests that there are more creative stems due to this ability to multi-task.... Right-handed people process information using "analysis", which is the method of solving a problem by breaking it down to its pieces and analyzing the pieces one at a time. By contrast, left-handed people process information using "synthesis", which is the method of solving a problem by looking at the whole and trying to use pattern-matching to solve the problem

Ahem....multi-threading? True it may be.. I wonder if I can take it seriously. ;-)

Ok, thank me for knowing a new word! :)

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Nicholas Key said...

hmmm ... "ambidextrous" - a new and interesting term to me. Thank you for posting this :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright (C) 2005 by YPWong
Disclaimer: This is a personal blog, opinions expressed here do not represent the views of my employer!